A basement is often the most overlooked space in a home. Many homeowners, in fact, use their basement for storage and nothing else. Have you ever imagined having a fitness center in your home? What about installing a home theater? Or maybe you’ve just wanted to finally add that extra bedroom and bathroom. The possibilities truly are endless with a finished basement. In this blog post, we will dive into everything you should know before starting this project.
Basement Remodels and Home Value
Before investing the time and money into a basement remodel, you want to know if it’s all worth your time. According to the 2017 Remodeling Cost vs. Value Report, basement renovation ranks inside the top ten home improvement projects that provide a return on investment. A 70 percent ROI actually tops bathroom remodels (65 percent), kitchen remodels (65 percent) and bathroom additions (54 percent). Let’s discuss a little more about what the 70 percent ROI means. If you recoup 70 percent of the costs incurred in finishing your basement, it means that you are responsible for just 30 percent of the actual project costs.
What’s the Purpose of Your Finished Basement?
It’s one thing to want to finish your basement just for the sake of checking off another project from your to-do list. It’s another, however, to have a purpose in mind. As aforementioned above, a finished basement could provide room for a new workout area or home theater system. Here are some other ideas:
- Extra space to build an office or business
- A spare room for visiting relatives
- Convenient, moisture-proof storage
- Play rooms for the kids
- Pool table, ping-pong table, etc.
When you first speak with a local home remodeler about your basement project, it’s helpful to have this kind of information in mind for design purposes. Plus, knowing this ahead of time aids in the cost evaluation process.
Steps You Must Take
Now that you have the planning part finalized, it’s time to get started on the project itself. Here are three things homeowners must take into account before tackling their basement renovations:
- Get a building permit – Skipping a permit can be costly and yet so many homeowners try to skirt by without one. As explained in this article by Time.com, the building department can force you to tear apart your progress and start from scratch should they catch you. What happens if you don’t get caught? Well, if you ever go to sell your home, potential buyers will want to see the certificate of occupancy for the renovation. Chances are that they will walk away if you don’t have one. That’s why it’s best to get in touch with a reliable contractor who can take care of a building permit and code requirements. Rest assured that the paperwork only costs a few hundred dollars and can put your mind at ease.
- Dry it out first – The American Society of Home Inspectors cites that nearly 60 percent of U.S. basements are wet. Keep in mind that moisture can lead to mold and rot if you don’t properly dry things out before refinishing. Solutions range from repairing damaged gutters to sealing foundation cracks and putting in a sump pump.
- Allow for more headroom – It’s important to know that building codes usually require about seven feet of ceiling space. So you may be forced to relocate pipes or ducts higher up into the ceiling or away from the basement’s center. If you’re at all unsure about ceiling space, check with your building department for requirements.
Basement Renovations with MC Home Services
At MC Home Services, no project is too big small or small with basement renovation. We have helped Colorado homeowners not only finish their basements but add a beautiful living space they never thought was possible. What really sets our home remodeler apart? For several decades, Matt has maintained the company mission of treating clients with the utmost integrity and providing high-quality work at an affordable cost. You can feel comfortable knowing that we have a tight-knit group of contractors that we team with, especially in large home improvement projects such as basement remodels. It’s our approach, methodology, and workflow planning that’s effective and well-proven. This all comes together to create beautiful results.
Unlike other home improvement services, we don’t just brush aside communication with clients. Whether we’re refinishing a basement or providing home upgrades of any kind, our team will keep you in the loop throughout the process. So don’t just hope that multiple contractors can work together to finish your basement efficiently and effectively. Instead, put your trust in MC Home Services for your basement makeover.
Are you ready to start your project? Then give us a call today. See what makes us the Top Rated Local®Home Improvement Services in Boulder and Fort Collins.